Canon EOS 1D X Mark II + Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports
Bringing the shooting speed and video capabilities required by professional multimedia image-makers, the EOS-1D X Mark II is the flagship model within Canon's DSLR lineup, and is characterized by its robust processing capabilities and ability to enable a high-end multimedia workflow.
At the heart of the imaging system is a full-frame 20.2MP CMOS sensor and dual DIGIC 6+ image processors, which contribute to fast continuous shooting rates up to 16 fps in live view, 14 fps with full-time AF and AE, and an expanded sensitivity range from ISO 50-409600.
The sensor and processor combination also avails DCI 4K video recording at 60 fps and Full HD 1080p recording at 120 fps, along with the ability to record on-board to a CFast 2.0 memory card, or uncompressed Full HD video can be saved via HDMI to an optional external recorder.
Benefitting stills shooting is an apt 61-point High Density Reticular AF II system, which includes 41 cross-type points for a high degree of precision in varying light conditions, and video shooting is enhanced by Dual Pixel CMOS AF, which makes its first appearance in a full-frame sensor for smooth, quick, and controllable AF in live view.
With a versatile set of imaging traits, the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II takes its place as a high-performance tool for professional photographers and videographers alike.
Complementing the robust set of imaging specs is an equally robust physical design based on a magnesium alloy body construction that is both dust- and weather-sealed for use in harsh environments. Integrated within the body is a large 3.2" 1.62m-dot touchscreen LCD for bright, high-resolution live view monitoring and image review, and a large 0.76x Intelligent Viewfinder II is offered for clear eye-level shooting.
For versatility in file handling, both CFast and CompactFlash memory card slots are available, and the 1D X Mark II also supports sharing imagery over Wi-Fi, as well as wireless remote camera control, via the optional WFT-E8A Wireless File Transmitter. Additionally, a built-in GPS module permits in-camera geotagging of photos and videos, and also allows for auto time syncing with the Universal Time Code for more efficient file sharing and organization.
- 20.2MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor and Dual DIGIC 6+ Image Processors
- A redeveloped full-frame 20.2MP CMOS sensor pairs with dual DIGIC 6+ image processors to avail notable image quality and accuracy, as well as fast performance throughout the camera system. The sensor itself integrates a gapless structure with micro lenses to provide enhanced low-light performance and reduced noise levels, and when coupled with the processors an expanded sensitivity range of ISO 50-409600 is available.
The sensor and processors also work together to avail quick shooting performance, with continuous rates up to 16 fps when working in live view. When working with the viewfinder, shooting up to 14 fps is possible along with the ability to record up to 170 raw files in a single burst if using a CFast 2.0 memory card. If shooting JPEG files, an unlimited number of frames can be recorded in a burst, even at full-resolution. If working with a CompactFlash card, the buffer is rated at up to 73 raw frames in a burst, or infinite JPEGs.
In addition to the stills attributes afforded by the sensor, it is also used for recording DCI 4K video at up to 60 fps, and it is the first full-frame sensor to incorporate Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology for precise, controllable, and fast live view focusing performance.
- High Density Reticular AF II and Dual Pixel CMOS AF Systems
- Benefitting accurate focusing and fast tracking performance, a 61-point High Density Reticular AF II system is employed, which incorporates 41 cross-type points for increased precision as well as a center point that is sensitive to -3 EV. All 61 phase-detection points support metering at effective apertures of f/8 or larger, which benefits the use of teleconverters and telephoto lenses. Additionally, a separate, dedicated DIGIC 6 processor is used for the AF and metering systems in order to maintain quick performance while recording 4K video or shooting at fast continuous speeds. As a whole, the AF system has gained approximately 8.6% in coverage in the center, and 24% in the periphery, for enhanced subject tracking across the image frame, and an AI Servo AF III+ algorithm is used to intelligently and precisely acquire focus in single-point, Large Zone AF, or any other focusing mode.
- When working with live view during stills shooting or video recording, a Dual Pixel CMOS AF system is employed that provides incredibly quick and accurate focusing performance in a similar manner to how a camcorder acquires focus. This system integrates two separate photodiodes within each pixel to provide a broad and dense network of phase-detection gathering elements across a majority of the image sensor to reduce focus hunting for faster, more direct control of focus placement. When working with still imagery, this focusing system works to acquire focus quickly and accurately, making it ideally suited to shooting and tracking moving subjects so that critical focus is attained with each shot. When shooting video, a Movie Servo AF mode offers smooth and natural focusing when changing from different subjects or different distances within the scene, as well as the ability to specify tracking sensitivity, AF speed, and Face Tracking priority. Benefited by the Touch AF system, rack focus is possible simply by touching elements within the scene on the touchscreen in order to change focus in an intuitive manner. Subject tracking in movies is also heightened due to the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system's ability to recognize subjects and maintain focus when working within changing or cluttered scenery.
- DCI 4K Video Recording
- Designed for both professional stills shooting and video recording, the 1D X Mark II supports DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) resolution recording at up to 60 fps at 800 Mbps, along with Full HD 1080p shooting at 120 fps at 360 Mbps for slow motion playback. When recording in-camera, 4K video has 4:2:2 sampling and 8-bit color depth, while Full HD 1080p footage has 4:2:0 sampling. Uncompressed Full HD 1080p video can also be saved via HDMI to an optional external recorder with 4:2:2 color sampling. 4K video is recorded using a central 4096 x 2160 area of the sensor, while Full HD recording makes use of the entire full frame, and a top sensitivity of ISO 12800 is available with 4K or ISO 25600 with Full HD.
- Audio can be recorded using the on-board stereo microphone or an optional external mic can also be used via the 3.5mm mic jack. Real time audio monitoring is possible, too, via the 3.5mm headphone jack. The 4K video recording also avails the ability to take 8.8MP still frame grabs during playback and save them as single images.
- Body Design
- A large 3.2" 1.62m-dot Clear View II LCD monitor is available and features an anti-reflective design for bright, vivid image playback and live view shooting, and its touchscreen interface can be used for intuitive touch-to-focus control.
- Dual CFast and CompactFlash memory card slots allow you to extend your file saving capabilities by permitting overflow recording or in-camera file type separation while shooting. The CFast card slot is compatible with CFast 2.0 memory cards.
- An Intelligent Viewfinder II uses a pentaprism design and offers a bright means for viewing, along with a 0.76x magnification and 100% frame coverage. When using the viewfinder, AF points are highlighted in red for greater visibility in low-light conditions, and the finder can also be configured to display a range of other shooting aids, such as an electronic level, grid, flicker detection, white balance, metering mode, AF information, and other settings.
- A robust magnesium alloy body design is both dust- and weather-sealed to permit working in harsh environments.
- An integrated vertical grip allows for comfortable, intuitive, and efficient handling when working in either vertical or horizontal shooting orientations.
- The included LP-E19 rechargeable lithium-ion battery is rated to provide up to 1210 shots per charge when shooting with the optical viewfinder. The 1D X Mark II is also compatible with LP-E4N and LP-E4 rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, however the top continuous shooting rate will be slightly reduced to 14 fps in live view and 12 fps with AE and AF.
- A redesigned mirror mechanism helps to minimize mechanical vibrations in order to better ensure sharpness during long exposures or fast continuous shooting bursts.
- The high-performance shutter utilizes lightweight carbon fiber blades for quick shooting speeds and is tested for up to 400,000 cycles. Extensive connectivity ports allow for the attachment of various accessories, including the optional WFT-E8A Wireless File Transmitter for remotely controlling the camera from a smartphone or sharing files over Wi-Fi with support for the 5 GHz 802.11ac standard
Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports
Superior performance redesigned to meet photographers needs. Introducing a precise and powerful large-aperture 300mm telephoto zoom.
This lens combines the highest levels of optical performance and photographic expression with equally fine functionality and usability. It embodies the concept of the Sports line, which features outstanding action-capture performance. Fully customizable, it allows the photographer to create his or own specification. It is an ideal choice for photographing sports events, animals and natural environments, airplanes, motorsports and even portraits. It greatly empowers photographic expression, allowing photographers to capture those crucial shots.
Sports line lenses deliver high action-capture performance
Sigma is organizing all its interchangeable lenses into three product lines; Contemporary, Art and Sports. While offering sophisticated optical performance and expressiveness, our Sports line lenses deliver high action-capture performance, enabling photographers to get exactly the shots they want. With their high-level optical performance and expressive power, these lenses can capture fast-moving subjects, even at distance. This high-performance line also offers a variety of functions to aid the photographer in challenging conditions and scenarios. The SIGMA 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM is the first product from the “Sports” line. Besides sports photography, the lenses are also perfect for nature shots featuring birds, wild animals and other wildlife, and for capture of aircraft, trains, racing cars and more. Another major feature of our Sports line lenses is their wide range of customization functions: using the software provided, all sorts of settings can be tailored to the personal preferences of the photographer.
Dust-proof and splash-proof construction
For professional purposes, we have achieved excellent durability by incorporating dust-proof and splash-proof parts for joint parts, such as mount attachment, manual ring, zoom-ring, switches for customization and external switch panels. It prevents dust and dirt from entering the lens. Also, the usage of the zoom ring and focus ring is well positioned for shooting situations.
High image quality close to fixed focal length lens
This lens incorporates 2 FLD (“F” Low Dispersion) glass elements, which have performance equal to fluorite, 1 SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass element, and compensate for the color aberration at the utmost. The design also compensates for sagittal coma flare and minimizes the blurring of a point light source in peripheral areas. It offers very high image quality, close to fixed focal length lens.
Incorporation of focus limiter
Excellent usability is achieved by incorporating inner focusing and zooming that requires no change in the length of the lens for focus and zoom. It is possible to use with a rounded filter, such as a Circular Polarizer, as the front part of the lens is fixed. Due to the focus limiter offering adjustable range of auto focusing, this lens can provide fast focus setting. The USB dock enables users to change the range of the auto focusing at the discretion of users' creativity.
Newly developed “USB DOCK” exclusively for new product lines
Based on these new lines, we have developed special software (SIGMA Optimization Pro) that can update the lens firmware and adjust parameters such as focus. In addition, the lenses from our Sports line have customizable AF speed, focus limiter and OS function. The “Custom Mode Switch” is the device for further customization on the dedicated lenses.
Ease of use
Many parts of this lens have been designed for comfortable usage. For example, the design of the zoom ring is concerned with a texture when you hold it, the position of printed letters and the 4 control switches with integration-considered shape of the screws. Included accessories such as the removable lens hood and the newly designed tripod collar with strap ensure added ease of use
Flare and ghosting conscious design
In order to achieve high rendering on this flagship lens, flare and ghosting were thoroughly measured from an early stage to establish an optical design which is resistant to strong incident light such as backlight. The Super Multi-Layer Coating reduces flare and ghosting and provides sharp and high contrast images even in backlit conditions.
Excellent in handheld photography for telephoto shooting
This lens incorporates the OS system which offers the use of shutter speeds approximately 4 stops slower than would otherwise be possible, ensuring the excellent use in handheld photography for telephoto shooting. The OS system has two modes - OS mode 1 is suitable for general photography, and OS mode 2 is best for panning shots of subjects such as planes or racing cars. It is possible to adjust the OS using the optional USB DOCK.
*This lens cannot be used with film SLR cameras with the exception of the Nikon F6 and Canon EOS-1v.
Quiet and Fast AF
The HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) ensures high speed and quiet AF as well as full-time manual focus override by rotation of the focus ring. With the enhanced AF algorithm, smoother AF is achieved. The full time manual, which offers further adjustment after focusing with AF mode, is possible. By using USB Dock, you can change and adjust the AF speed at your convenience.
Incorporating Rounded Diaphragm
The 9 blade-rounded diaphragm creates an attractive blur to the out-of-focus areas of the image.
APO Tele-Converter (Optional)
The addition of Sigma's 1.4x EX DG APO or 2x EX DG APO TELE CONVERTER produces a 168-420mm F4 AF telephoto zoom lens or a 240-600mm F5.6 AF telephoto zoom lens respectively.
Brass made bayonet mount
This lens incorporates a brass made bayonet mount which has both high accuracy and durability. A special treatment to reinforce its strength is applied to the surface giving it greater strength and making it highly resistant to long-term use.
Evaluation with Sigma's own MTF measuring system “A1”
We used to measure lens performance with an MTF measuring system using conventional sensors. However, we've now developed our own proprietary MTF (modulation transfer function) measuring system (A1) using 46-megapixel Foveon direct image sensors. Even previously undetectable high-frequency details are now within the scope of our quality control inspections. The SIGMA 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM will all be checked using this “A1” before they are shipped.
“Made in Japan”
All Sigma's manufacturing - right down to the molds and parts - is carried out under an integrated production system, entirely in Japan. We are now one of the very few manufacturers whose products are solely “made in Japan”. We like to think our products are somehow imbued with the essence of our homeland, blessed as it is with clean air and water, and focused, hard-working people. We pride ourselves on the authentic quality of Sigma products, born of a marriage between highly attuned expertise and intelligent, advanced technology. Our sophisticated products have satisfied professionals and lovers of photography all over the world, because our manufacturing is based on genuine craftsmanship, underpinned by the passion and pride of our experts.