The EOS R is the first Canon camera body with the EOS R System and the new RF lens mount. The camera was designed with a view to a perfect mix between optical, mechanical and electronic design to capture unique moments in a way that was previously impossible. The new RF lens mount was designed based on the strengths of the existing EF lens mount and is the result of lengthy and detailed research by Canon engineers who have an impressive optical system with a flange back distance of 20mm - and a large diameter of 54mm -, which gives more freedom in the design of lenses. The new 12-pin connection on the mount provides improved communication and transfer between lens and camera, more design options for the lens range as well as higher image quality and user-friendliness.
Features of the Canon EOS R
- The first Canon camera body with the EOS R System and the RF lens mount
- More creativity thanks to groundbreaking technology
- Capture more details in photos and video
- Use your EF and EF-S lenses via an adapter plus innovative RF optics
- Sophisticated, responsive operation and ergonomics
- Easily create photos and movies and share them with others
- Shoot professional 4K video for breathtaking movies
- The world's fastest autofocus
- First camera that can focus under very low light conditions - up to -6EV
- Unprecedented picture quality, high connectivity, refined ergonomics and increased ease of use
Sublime picture quality
The EOS R System was designed from the ground up with the valuable input from both photography enthusiasts and professional photographers and filmmakers. With the RF lens mount and Dual Pixel CMOS AF, the system delivers unrivaled optical performance, the world's fastest autofocus and faster communication between camera and lens. The features that are synonymous with the EOS system - speed, ergonomics and superior image quality - form the core of the new EOS R System.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
Thanks to innovative technology for photography and filming, the EOS R system with Dual Pixel CMOS AF allows users to photograph and film in low light conditions with accurate focus. The compact and discrete format provides flexibility, and also has the advantage of being able to photograph and film soundlessly.
4K recording possibilities
The system also offers the highest standard in film output from all Canon EOS cameras, except the Cinema EOS range, allowing filmmakers to raise their storytelling to a higher level in 4K and with an output of 10 bit via HDMI. The complete system features a refined user-friendliness and improved ergonomics, including an electronic viewfinder and extensive customization options. This allows the user to concentrate on his subject instead of on his camera settings.
The EOS R System inherits all existing EOS benefits and is also fully compatible with current EF and EF-S lenses and accessories thanks to three newly designed lens adapters to further enhance the possibilities of capturing images.