Sporting a classic design and sleek form factor, the black OM-D E-M10 Mark II from Olympus is a mirrorless Micro Four Thirds digital camera featuring refined stills and movie recording capabilities to suit working in a variety of day-to-day environments. A high-resolution 16.1MP 4/3 Live MOS sensor pairs with the TruePic VII image processor to facilitate up to 8.5 fps shooting and full HD 1080p/60 movie recording, with a top sensitivity of ISO 25600. In-camera 5-axis image stabilization compensates for up to 4 stops of camera shake to benefit working in difficult lighting conditions and a FAST AF system employs 81 contrast-detection areas for quick, accurate performance with dedicated subject tracking modes.
The retro-themed body incorporates a range of assignable function buttons and dials, as well as a 2.36m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder and 3.0" 1.04m-dot tilting touchscreen LCD for clear image monitoring and playback. Besides the handsome appeal of the E-M10 Mark II's design, its main assets lie in its versatility of shooting functions and performance to benefit photographers and videographers alike.
Benefited by the range of imaging capabilities, the E-M10 Mark II also incorporates a variety of shooting modes to suit working in various situations. A Silent Mode utilizes an electronic shutter for perfectly quiet picture-taking, with shutter speeds up to 1/16,000 sec. available. Live Bulb and Live Time modes are well-suited to creative long exposure photography and a dedicated Live Composite mode lets you watch a long exposure gradually build up during the course of the shot. Built-in Wi-Fi allows you to pair the camera with your smartphone or tablet for wireless sharing and remote camera control, and an interval shooting mode can be used to produce in-camera 4K time lapse movies.
- 16.1MP Live MOS Sensor and TruePic VII Image Processor
- Featuring a 16.1MP 4/3 Live MOS sensor, along with the TruePic VII image processor, the E-M10 Mark II is capable of recording high-resolution stills and full HD 1080p video with sensitivity to ISO 25600. The processing speed also avails a top continuous shooting rate of 8.5 fps in full-resolution, with the ability to record up to 22 12-bit raw files in a single burst or 36 JPEGs. When working at a slower, 4 fps shooting rate, you are able to record infinite bursts for the capacity of your memory card.
- In-Camera 5-Axis Image Stabilization
- In-body, sensor-shift image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 4 stops with any lens in use and compensates for camera movements that become especially noticeable when working with telephoto shots, macro imagery, and long exposures. Furthermore, this unique image stabilization system works across five axes to compensate for vertical angle rotation, horizontal angle rotation, horizontal shift, vertical shift, and rolling camera shake movement. This range of detected movements serves to benefit traditional still image shooting as well as movie recording and working with moving subjects more effectively. Additionally, image stabilization can also be used when framing shots, for more accurate compositions, by half-pressing the shutter button.
- FAST AF System and Focus Controls
- The FAST contrast-detection autofocus system employs 81 areas to quickly and accurately acquire focus on both moving and stationary subjects. Both face and eye-detection modes can also be used for precise tracking of subjects, and single and continuous focusing modes can also be employed. When working with manual focus, a manual focus assist function can magnify the image for easily identifying sharp focus and a peaking function can be used, too, for quickly determining in-focus areas in the scene based on colored, highlighted lines of contrast.
- OM-D Movie
- Full HD 1080p video recording is supported in a variety of frame rates up to 60 fps in ALL-I or IPB compressions, with a maximum bit-rate of 77 Mbps. In addition to standard video recording, high-speed video recording is also supported at 120 fps in 640 x 480 resolution. A dedicated clips feature is ideal for sharing short movies in preset times of 1, 2, 4, and 8 second durations, with the ability to extend limits by re-pressing the record button.
- Sound is recorded during movies using the built-in stereo microphone, and a wind noise reduction tool can be used for cleaner sound. Also, the microphone volume can be limited during recording.
- Body Design
- Characterized by a compact, lightweight design, the E-M10 Mark II features a classically-styled body design with a black leatherette wrap and black metal finish.
- For manual, direct control over drive modes and programmable function settings, three dials are positioned on the top panel and feature a knurled finish for easier adjustment.
- The large, 0.62x equivalent magnification OLED viewfinder features a 2.36-million dot resolution and covers 100% of the frame for accurate composing in a variety of lighting conditions and working situations. The EVF also allows you to pre-visualize any creative effects or exposure adjustments prior to shooting.
- An alternative to the viewfinder, the camera also features a 3.0" 1.04m-dot tilting touchscreen monitor. The monitor can tilt 85° upward, for low-angle shooting, and 45° downward, for high-angle shooting. The touchscreen design also avails direct control when navigating the menus, reviewing images, and choosing focus points or other shooting controls.
- When working with the EVF, the AF Targeting Pad feature allows you to trace your thumb along the touchscreen to intuitively move the focus point while shooting.
- A trio of Fn (Function) buttons can be assigned specific controls for quick adjustment or access to your most oft-used settings.
- A built-in pop-up flash can be used for additional illumination or a top hot shoe is also available for optional external flashes. When using the built-in flash, the top sync speed is 1/250 sec. and with an external flash, the top sync speed is 1/200 sec.