The Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM is geared to the versatile possibilities of the EOS 80D and offers a powerful AF that excels at both movies and photos. The lens has a large enough focal range to make both wide-angle and close-up shots. The EF-S 18-135mm IS USM is the first Canon lens with Nano USM focusing technology for smooth AF that is silent when shooting video and impressively fast when taking photos.
Nano USM is a newly developed lens drive system that combines the quietness and smoothness of a STM (Stepping Motor) with the speed of the Canon Ring-type USM (Ultrasonic Motor) system. The drive speed of the focusing lens in the EF-S 18-135mm IS USM is 2.5 times higher for wide-angle and up to 4.3 times for telephoto, compared to its predecessor: the EF-S 18-135mm IS STM.
The Nano USM unit has a flexible metal body and a ceramic voltage element. By changing the frequency and phase of the high-frequency voltage applied to the ceramic voltage element, drive control of rotational direction and speed is achieved. The combination of frequency and phase control, together with a control algorithm, provides a focus lens drive that is ideally suited for both photography and movie shooting.
Features of the Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM:
- Lens construction: 16 elements in 12 groups
- Shortest focus distance: 0.39m
- Versatile focal range for capturing a multitude of subjects
- Nano USM for swift AF when taking pictures, or smooth and silent AF when shooting movies.
- Take sharp photos with the 4-stop Optical Image Stabilize
- Vibration-free video with Dynamic IS
- Compact, powerful lens with optional Power Zoom accessories